I use meditation to press pause and give my mind and body time to settle. It creates a space for me to exist without all the constant chatter and thinking that goes on in my head. Taking the time to be present allows you to realize what ideas and thoughts have value and which ones aren’t worth investing time into. It’s our body’s natural defense to be anxious, it is something that is instilled in our fight-or-flight response. Meditation allows us to evolve beyond that and have peace within the current moment.
Strengthening Your Thoughts
A misconception of meditation is that you are supposed to not think or experience emotion; it’s actually the opposite. Focusing on your breathing brings you into the present moment. This focus allows for there to be space in between your thoughts and gives you the ability to realize if they are worth your time or not. It also allows evaluating before reacting. Meditation is like a workout for your mind and the space in between thoughts is the muscle you are trying to grow. The more space you have there, the more clarity you have with your decisions, reactions, and feelings.
Tips for beginners
- Start small – Dedicate 5-10 minutes a day to meditation. See how it goes and when you’re ready for more, start to add on!
- Dedicate a space – Try to use the same space every day to meditate. Let this space be inviting and include things that make you feel calm: pillows, candles, scents. Even if it is just a corner of your house, let it be your corner.
- Stay consistent – Sometimes it takes us a while to get comfortable with something. There is no way to do this right. Give yourself room to fail and succeed.
- Set a timer on your phone to track the length of your session.
- Look for a meditation center near you. If you prefer a more personal experience, use the Headspace app, or utilize Fitbit’s relax feature so you can take your meditation with you anywhere!
- Read about the benefits of meditation. Some books that I love are Power of Now, When Things Fall Apart, and Oprah’s What I Know For Sure.
Let’s breathe through it. Plan your next class with Cody now!
Connect with Cody. Find more tips on his Official Peloton Facebook page here.